- Florida – Lauren Groff (Fiction)
- A Life of My Own – Claire Tomalin (Non-Fiction)
- My Sister, the Serial Killer – Okinkan Braithwaite (Fiction)
- Speaking in Tongues – Jeffrey Deaver (Fiction)
- At the Jerusalem – Paul Bailey
- How to Write an Autobiographical Novel – Alexander Chee (Non-Fiction)
- Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy (Fiction)
- Sick – Porochista Khakpour (Non-Fiction)
- Legacy of Spies – John LeCarre (Fiction)
January Reading Blitz
A couple of snow storms, a polar vortex, and a month of abstaining from alcohol allowed me time to read 9 books (actually 9 3/14) in January. That puts me on a trajectory to read over 100 books this year. I mean, I’m not going to read that many books, but it’s always good to get out of the gate.
So far, I recommend My Sister, the Serial Killer and How to Write an Autobiographical Novel. If I’ve already read two really good books, I have great hope for the rest of my 2019 selections.
10. The Apparitionists: A Tale of Phantoms, Fraud, Photography, and the Man Who Captured Lincoln’s Ghost – Peter Manseau (Non-Fiction)
11. Blown – Mark Haskell Smith (Fiction)